Killara


KILLARA

Location: Killara is situated 14 Kilometres north-west of the Sydney Business district on the upper North Shore of Sydney in the state of New South Wales Australia. Killara is located in the Ku-ring-gai Council area. Killara is an aboriginal word meaning permanent or always there.

Transport: Killara Railway Station is on the North Shore Line. The Pacific Highway is the main road through Killara directly linking through to Sydney Central Business District via Sydney Harbour Bridge. Buses are very regular along the Pacific Highway.

Education: Killara High School, Killara Public School, Beaumont Road Public School

HISTORY OF KILLARA

Killara, an Aboriginal word meaning ‘permanent’, ‘always there’, was the name given by James George Edwards to the suburb that developed around the railway station opened in 1899, between Lindfield and Gordon.  Killara, as the name of a suburb was a creation of the 20th century.  Fourteen kilometres from Sydney, 365 feet (110 metres) above sea level and with a name that symbolises a feeling of permanence, Killara is often described as ‘a lush haven’, ‘a quiet retreat’, an area of ‘solid respectability’.  It stretches between the Lane Cove River and Middle Harbour; its northern boundary used to run from Essex Street across the Highway and along Greengate Road (though this has since been extended north by several streets on the eastern side of the artery), and its southern boundaries are Fiddens Wharf Road and Treatts Road.

We have to thank Edwards for Killara.  For it was he who had the tenacity, the courage and the financial means to create a garden suburb, with large allotments, little commercial development and no industrial sites at all.  He is justifiably called the Father of Killara.  Despite inevitable changes in the 20th century, Killara retains its air of respectability and homeliness.